myLIFE

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Job-Hunting 101

Since I am one of the many who is looking for a decent job nowadays and having been in the field of HR especially in Recruitment, I have decided to give some tips on how to be an "A" applicant.

Disclaimer:Please be reminded that ALL that I am writing here is based on my PERSONAL knowledge and experiences and I do not claim to be an EXPERT on this as I just wanted to SHARE MY THOUGHTS and KNOWLEDGE on the given topic :)

1. Decide on what field or career you want to pursue. This is very helpful to newlygrads who have not yet started their career. It is very important that you know where you want to go as far as your career is concerned. However, there is an advantage of trying different careers. But, more often than not, you will just find out in the future that you have just wasted a big amount of your time if you came to realize that you are not happy with the career you have chosen and wanted to shift.

2. Compose a very good resume. Applying for a job is the same as marketing yourself - your skills and abilities. Remember that your resume is the first thing that a company sees. It is your resume that will determine if you are worth interviewing. But always keep in mind that it should also be truthful. A smart recruiter will find out sooner or later if what you have written validates your skills and abilities.

3. Come to your interview schedule ahead of time. Personally, I like applicants who arrives on the interview location ahead of time. It shows what kind of employee that applicant will be, if hired - comes in on time. Of course, you would want to have good impression with your interviewer. Although I have to admit that I myself is guilty of sometimes being late, I make sure that I inform the interviewer ahead of time. Puncutality matters.

4. Answer the questions straightforwardly. "Kung ano ang tanong, s'yang sagot. " (Answer what is being asked). You should remember that most interviews are timed for the reason that you are not the only applicant for the position, so make sure that you answer straight-to-the-point. If the interviewer asks you a question, for example, a specific skill, and you are not knowledgeable about it, acknowledge that you do not have any experience about it. It's better to answer honestly than to pretend to know everything.

5. Be inquisitive. Job interviews are a two-way communication. As an interviewee, you also have the right to ask questions - about the company, position, salary, job responsibilities, as long as it is related to your application. But, hold your horses until the last part of the interview session. It would not be nice to ask questions if the interviewer is not yet finished evaluating your qualifications. Most of the time, the interviewer asks the interviewee should he/she has questions.

6. Thank your interviewer. Being polite is very much appreciated from an applicant. Thank your interviewer at the end of the interview session and let him/her know that you appreciate a feedback be it positive or not.

7. Accept or decline a job offer politely. Whether or not you have decided to accept moreso in declining a job offer, please do it politely.

There! I hope that I have helped (if not confused) my blog guests who decide to become my reader on this topic. :D

1 comment:

sujee isturis-sarmiento said...

Hi! This is so helpful for job hunters. Can I copy this to my other blog http://thejoblink.blogspot.com? I won't claim it as my own. Promise! I'll write your name and link :)

Please let me know if it's okay :)

God bless!